Ayush Desai, Weeks 1-4 at Suffolk County Vector Control

     The first four weeks of my internship have introduced me to many different aspects of vector surveillance and shown me that every day in the field is different. Coming into the internship, I expected to spend most of my time collecting mosquitoes, but I quickly learned that the work involves much more than that. Between mosquito surveillance, tick sampling, and other field activities, I've been able to experience several sides of Suffolk County's vector control program.

    Much of my first few weeks was spent assisting with mosquito surveillance. One thing that surprised me was how few mosquito larvae we were finding. Before starting, I assumed we would see large numbers at almost every site, but that wasn't the case. It made me realize how much weather and environmental conditions influence mosquito development and why consistent surveillance is necessary, even when populations appear low. Every trip into the field contributes to a better understanding of how conditions are changing over the course of the season.

    We also spent time conducting tick sampling, which was one of my favorite activities. Walking transects through different habitats gave me a better appreciation for how vegetation and moisture can affect where ticks are found. Although the work can be physically demanding, it was rewarding to see how standardized sampling methods allow the county to monitor changes in tick activity over time. Spending hours in the field also gave me a chance to learn from the staff, who were always willing to explain the purpose behind the work we were doing.

    One conversation that really stood out to me happened while we were working around some of Suffolk County's marshes. As someone who enjoys fishing, I thought it was fascinating to learn about the history of these marsh systems and how they once supported sea-run brook trout that migrated between saltwater and freshwater to spawn. I had always viewed the marshes as important habitats for wildlife, but I had never considered how connected they were to the history of local fisheries. It gave me a greater appreciation for the ecosystems we work in every day and how environmental changes can affect many different species over time.

    Overall, the first month of my internship has been both educational and rewarding. I've learned new field techniques, gained a better understanding of vector surveillance, and developed a deeper appreciation for the environmental factors that influence both vector populations and the ecosystems they inhabit. I'm looking forward to seeing how conditions change as the summer continues and to learning even more during the second half of the internship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yuliia Skrypniuk - Week 10 with DNREC Fish and Wildlife Division

Joseph Fiscella: Week 10 at Suffolk County Vector Control

Joseph Fiscella: Week 9 at Suffolk County Vector Control