Defne Gumus - Blog #1 (Week 8)

 Hi everyone!

A little introduction about myself: My name is Defne Gumus and I am a rising senior at Bucknell University. I study biology on the pre-med track (and am also doing a theatre minor)!

For the past 8 weeks I have spent my summer NEVBD internship with Vector Control Services at the Department of Public Health in Philadelphia. It has been an insanely insightful past 2 months and I never knew working with mosquitos could have taught me this much about field work, data collection, or working well with a team!

I feel I could best explain the duties of the internship in three different categories. First, is the setting of mosquito traps (whether it be gravid or BG-sentinel), second is dipping for larval mosquito, and third is the laboratory work. I learned so much beyond these three general avenues, including how to do bacterial larvicides, handling complaints, community outreach, and even tick collection, but for the purposes of these blogs I will talk about what I spent the majority of my time doing!

In this first blog post I will go over the mosquito trap aspect of the internship. Every week my team (myself and 2 other summer interns) were in charge of setting 15 mosquito traps. Typically, we have 13 gravid traps and 2 BG-Sentinel traps to set in different areas of Philadelphia. 

Gravid traps include a bin, a toolbox (containing a motor assembly and fan), a 6V battery, and a plastic collection chamber with a pipe allowing it capture the mosquitos. In order to set a gravid trap you must fill the bin with what our office calls "stink water," which is a mixture of water, grass, and a bacteria powder. You must place the collection chamber and battery inside the toolbox, connect the wires, make sure the fan is on. It is best to set a gravid trap in flat, shady areas with denser vegetation. Gravid traps are collected within 24 hours of setting, where at the time of collection a paper that has the location, time, date, and estimate of mosquitos is dropped inside the collection chamber to later recall and write down (will get into this more thoroughly in a future blog!)

To discuss a bit of the weekly schedule, we usually set around 6 gravid and 2 BG traps on Mondays. Then, on Tuesday, we collect the 8 we had set the previous day, and aim to set another 6-7 gravid traps, completing the weekly collections by Wednesday. However, sometimes setting our last one or two gravid gets pushed to Wednesday, which is fine! We have built this schedule in order to ease the end of the week so that we have ample time to collect our dips.

PS: One MUST during the setting and collection of the gravid traps is gloves.. that stink water will get to you if you are not careful!

PPS: Be extra careful when retrieving a gravid trap you have set at a cemetery as ear wigs love to chill inside the handles and bin.

Till next time, 

Defne! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yuliia Skrypniuk - Week 10 with DNREC Fish and Wildlife Division

Joseph Fiscella: Week 10 at Suffolk County Vector Control

Joseph Fiscella: Week 9 at Suffolk County Vector Control