Weeks 5–7 at Suffolk County Vector Control
As the internship continued, I was able to build on the field skills I developed during the first month while being introduced to several new projects. By this point, I felt much more comfortable with the sampling techniques we had learned, which allowed me to focus more on understanding why we collect the information and how it contributes to public health decisions.
One of the highlights of this part of the internship was participating in nekton sampling. We set fish traps, identified the species we collected, and recorded our observations. Before this internship, I had never considered how fish populations could be connected to mosquito habitats. It was interesting to see how aquatic ecosystems are monitored and how collecting information about these environments provides a broader understanding of the conditions that influence mosquito development.
As we rotated back into mosquito and tick surveillance, I started noticing how much conditions could change from week to week. Although reports of mosquito larvae had begun coming in, we still observed relatively low numbers in many of the locations we sampled. Likewise, during our recent tick collections, the numbers we encountered were not as high as I had expected. These experiences showed me that field observations don’t always match assumptions and reinforced the importance of collecting consistent data throughout the season instead of relying on isolated observations.
Another memorable part of these weeks was learning more about how surveillance data is interpreted.The Superintendent of Vector Control, spent time discussing seasonal trends and explaining how weather patterns, habitat conditions, and ongoing county mosquito control efforts can influence what field teams observe throughout the year. Rather than simply collecting samples, I began to appreciate how each day of fieldwork contributes to a much larger surveillance program that helps guide public health decisions.
Most recently, we have started vegetation sampling, which has introduced another side of fieldwork. Working around changing weather conditions has highlighted the importance of flexibility and planning, as schedules often need to be adjusted while still accomplishing the day’s objectives.
Looking back on these weeks, I feel much more confident working in the field and have gained a greater appreciation for the teamwork involved in vector surveillance. Every activity has shown me another piece of how environmental science and public health come together, and I’m excited to see what the remainder of the internship has in store.
Comments
Post a Comment