Weeks 6-10 at DNREC Fish and Wildlife Division

I can’t believe my internship has come to an end. This summer was an incredible experience, traveling throughout Delaware, conducting tick dragging and tick identification, assisting with the sentinel chicken program, participating in outreach events, and working with a wide variety of wildlife. 

One of my favorite experiences has been assisting with Delaware’s sentinel chicken surveillance program for West Nile Virus.  We deployed 36 chickens to nine different sites throughout the state. Each week, we visited the sites to monitor the chickens and collect blood samples, which are tested to determine whether the birds have been exposed to West Nile Virus. This surveillance helps detect virus activity early and provides valuable information for mosquito control before human cases occur. 

I also had the opportunity to participate in bat banding, where I primarily served as a scribe because I have not received my rabies vaccine and was not able to handle the bats directly. I recorded information such as the bat’s weight, sex, and physical characteristics like wing health and hair loss. Although I couldn’t handle the bats myself, it was very exciting to observe the bats up close and learn more about bat research. 

For a couple of weeks, we also conducted small-mammal trapping by setting traps baited with peanut butter and apples at the end of the day and checking them each morning for mice. When mice are captured, we examine them for ticks and release them back into the woods. 

On the last day of my internship, I spent the morning bird-banding, during which we caught many catbirds, including one with 16 ticks! In the afternoon, we visited four sites for tick dragging, ending the summer just as it began with field surveillance. 

I am so grateful for the opportunity to intern with DNREC, Mosquito Control Section. Thank you to everyone who took the time to teach and mentor me throughout the summer. I learned so much, gained valuable hands-on experience, and developed new skills that I will carry with me as I continue my journey in public health. 

 
  A Bat with a Bat Bug!    

 Bleeding the Chickens!                    A mouse we caught! 


                         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yuliia Skrypniuk - Week 10 with DNREC Fish and Wildlife Division

Joseph Fiscella: Week 10 at Suffolk County Vector Control

Joseph Fiscella: Week 9 at Suffolk County Vector Control