Weeks 8-10 At the PDPH
As I am closing my time a the Department of Public Health in Philadelphia, I find that I have grown quite fond of the work done at the Vector Control sector. While not always glamorous (many mosquito bites and one too many ticks hitching a ride on us) I find that active field work- rain or shine- is exactly what I enjoy doing.
Throughout the program we have done various things to aid in the collection, identification, and record keeping of disease spreading mosquitos. I learned how to take dips, which involved collecting samples of mosquito larvae in stagnant water in order to identify the types of mosquitos present in an area. Furthermore, I learned how to set and collect BG and Gravid traps, which focus on attracting and capturing human-seeking and gravid mosquitos respectively. And most importantly, I learned essential skills including but not limited to how to handle critical disease carrying organisms, how to process and take record of said organisms, and how to properly convey results without revealing confidential information.
Moreover, we made great efforts to treat a community garden just last week and I am looking forward to one day aiding community gardens in the future. With my pesticide applicator license, I was able to treat rain barrels and stagnant bodies of water too large to dispatch through mechanical means. I was able to learn how to properly communicate vector safety with residents and gardeners by showing gardeners how to cover their rain barrels with mesh covers. In doing so, I was able to spread knowledge on health safety and how everyone can do their parts to maintain it.
I also learned how to be quick on my feet and efficient with repairs when our traps broke out on the field.
Comments
Post a Comment